Disease, Health and Infection Control Info
The bloodborne diseases we worry about most in dentistry are HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.
- Here are some great links for information on these diseases.
- For general info on HIV, Check out “The Body” website.
- For information on HIV in healthcare settings check this out.
- Here’s info on Hepatitis B and C, including info in healthcare settings.
- For general info on Hepatitis, check out the website or call the Hepatitis Hot-line: (888) 443-7232
- The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is at epidemic proportions in North America, and it turns out that chronic HPV infection has huge implications for dentistry. Studies show that a significant amount of oropharyngeal cancer can be attributed to the human papilloma virus.
- Here’s great information on how to perform an extremely thorough oral cancer exam: (Click here for Oral Cancer Screening Protocols)
- Check out this website from the oral cancer foundation for more great information! (This is an incredibly helpful website on oral cancer; it has a specific dental section and a separate section on HPV-related cancers)
- Here are several links to sites that have great info on HPV related cancers:
- Here is Flu vaccination information for health care workers.
- We’re exposed to a ton of viruses when we work, so it’s very important to make sure you have protection from vaccine-preventable illnesses. Here’s vaccine information for healthcare workers.
- Here’s a great overview on MRSA in dentistry, check out this article from JADA.
- For all kinds of information about TB in healthcare settings, check this out.
- For TB info for Georgia healthcare providers, click here.